The Ohio State Comprehensive Burn Center is the only adult ABA-verified Burn Center in central Ohio. Being an ABA-verified burn center provides a true mark of distinction for a burn center. Verification is an indicator to government, third-party providers, patients, families and credit organizations, that the center provides high quality patient care to burn patients from time of injury through rehabilitation. The American Burn Association (ABA) offers this program to verify that a burn center is meeting the highest current standards of care for the burn-injured patient. Our team of specialists treats a variety of burns, ranging from minor to severe in an inpatient and outpatient setting.
We offer inpatient and outpatient services including:
- Advanced dressing options to minimize pain, scarring and other complications
- Wound care and complex wound management
- Comprehensive care team to address the needs of patients and their families including the physical, mental, emotional and social aspects of burns extending beyond the walls of the hospital
- Treatment for all burns, small to large with special emphasis on
- Third-degree burns
- Burns to the face, hands, feet, genitalia, perineum and joints
- Electrical burns and lightning strikes
- Chemical burns
- Burns in patients with comorbid conditions
- Scar management and reconstruction after burn recovery
- Inhalation injury
Once you have burns that are blistering in the second degree, that’s when you should seek expert care.
Burn Center rehabilitation is provided at Dodd Hall Inpatient Rehabilitation, which has been ranked among the best in the country by U.S.News & World Report. Also part of the Medical Center’s Level 1 Trauma Center, our burn center offers physical and occupational therapy, speech language therapy, social work, psychological, spiritual and nutritional services.
Burn Community Involvement A burn injury can impact patients and their families physically, mentally, emotionally and socially. The Ohio State Burn Center hosts a variety of events to address the needs of patients and their families. Burn team members are also available to provide burn prevention talks to the community.